Thursday, June 19, 2014

Book Review: Death by Darjeeling


by
Laura Childs



Back of the book:

Ordinarily, Charleston's Indigo Tea Shop is an oasis of calm.  But when tea shop owner, Theodosia Browning, caters the annual Lamplighter Tour of historic homes, one of the patrons turns up dead.  Never mind that it's Hughes Barron, a slightly scurrilous real estate developer.  Theodosia's reputation is suddenly on the line.  Aided by her friends and fellow tea shop entrepreneurs, Theo sets about to unravel the mystery of the deadly Darjeeling and encounters a number of likely suspects.  Tanner Joseph, the fiery environmentalist, held a grudge against the developer for his misuse of land.  Timothy Neville, the octogenarian major domo for the Heritage Society, opposed Hughes Barron's election to the board.  And Barron's unsavory partner might very well profit from a cleverly written buy-sell agreement!


This is what I think...
Clever, sweet, not too terribly predictable. I did drink more tea than usual and
it was a quick read. I enjoyed the book. If you like mysteries, this is a pretty good little read.
The book club was mixed. Several of the
ladies thought it was way to easy to foresee the outcome. 



Have you read any of the books in the Tea Shop Mystery series?

I'll be joining Art at Home for Literary Friday.




5 comments:

Lisa said...

My sister has read a few of these...she loves mysteries. It sounds cute, not too heavy. I love the whole tea shop theme.

Ricki Treleaven said...

I'm unfamiliar with this series, but I do enjoy reading cozy mysteries from time to time. They're fun, and I know I'd love the setting of this one!

Thanks so much for linking-up to Literary Friday!

xo,
RJ

Bernideen said...

I have read them all and done reviews on my blog. Actually that's not correct as I am reading the newest one which I have had far too long and should be done! You did a great review! Let her,know as I think she will respond to you: laura@laurachilds.com

Tales of Whimsy said...

I find that happens with certain mysteries. Great share!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

You know, I've read nearly all of the Tea Shop Mysteries. I adore Theodosia, Drayton, and oh my, I cannot think of the baker's name. They inspire me to drink tea and embrace beautiful things. Maybe I should write to Laura Childs and tell her.

Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage