Saturday, February 19, 2011

Lit n Latte Book Review




It's time for Lit-n-Latte! Get your coffee and join in!

Today I am reviewing and talking about
"These Is My Words"
by Nancy E Turner


I LOVED!!!! this story!
So much that I have already read it again and purchased the sequels, "Sarah's Quilt" and "Star Garden". Needless to say I recommend this page turner!

This is not your mother's trip across the prairie. An action, adventure, romance, this story starts in Northern, Arizona Territory then journeys on through to Texas and back to the Southern, Arizona Territory to the Benson/ Tucson area. A fictional, journal telling a tale of Sarah Agnes Prine from 1881-1901, this book gives you a picture of the very hard life and strong determination, not to just survive, but to thrive in the dangerous, harsh environment of the "Wild West".


So, for book club, I thought that I would have some fun.

I have made some little book marks from shipping tags.
No big deal and really super inexpensive.


They sort of have a vintage, western feel and if you want to know about the velvet ribbon....
Well.... you'll just have to read the book! LOL! How about that for a teaser?!

Each gal will get one...

~{}~

I also went on-line and did a little research.....


I'm going to make a dessert that could be similar to Savannah's Butter Cake.



Basic Butter Cake
  • 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 3/4 cup(s) whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
  • 3/4 cup(s) butter or margarine, softened
  • 3 large eggs

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. greese 13" by 9" metal baking pan, or three 8-inch round or two 9-inch round cake pans. Dust pan(s) with flour.
  2. On waxed paper, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. In cup, mix milk and vanilla; set aside.
  3. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar and butter just until blended. Increase speed to high; beat 3 minutes or until creamy, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Reduce speed to low; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
  4. Beat in flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture just until blended, scraping bowl occasionally.
  5. Pour batter into prepared pan(s). bake 40 to 45 minutes for 13" by 9" cake, 23 to 25 minutes for 8- and 9-inch layers, or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan(s) on wire rack 10 minutes. With knife, loosen side of cake(s) from pan(s); invert onto wire rack to cool completely.

This should be perfect for coffee and conversation!

Next Month:
Jane Eyre
by Charlotte Bronte

Coincidence that the new movie is coming out in March????
I think not!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Liz, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. Your book marks are a nice favor for your book club, not to mention the cake. ;-)
I hope you will link this post to Food For Thought on March 2. ~ Sarah

April D said...

Looks like a fun read, Liz. Your bookmarks are so pretty!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments--you touched my heart by just DOING so. My posts are so meager this week because I've been sick and just can't seem to get a half-ounce of energy back. . .
taking the rest time to catch up on prayer, though! :) "In everything give thanks. . ."
Hope your weekend is blessed!

Karie said...

Oh, looks like a good book to read. And those book marks are beautiful. Wish I was in your book club. Have a great time. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Karie

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I think I will pop over to AMazon and buy those books!!!My MOM and grandpa would be Proud, that I am reading some kind of Old West book!!!
I think I will read Jane Eyre too!!!
Great cake recipe, hmmmm...should I make it too???
Why yes!!!
hugs,
jamie

Beansieleigh said...

Hi Liz! I'm presently taking FOREVER to read a book about George and Gracie.. It's a great book by George Burns, and I absolutely LOVE it, but I just find it difficult to make the time to sit down and read it! Anyways, I will have to keep an eye open for... or maybe look up online, for "These Is My Words", and your bookmark tags are gorgeous! Just learning to make them myself, so I'm experimenting as I GRADUALLY collect the supplies, for them and all the scrapbooking I'm doing these days!... Have a great weekend! ~tina

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Liz, your book marks are so pretty. How nice that you made those for your club members. You did make me want to read this book. I laughed about your comment on my post - the daisies are low maintenance, but my husband didn't know about my dish obsession when he asked me to marry him. We might not have ever married if he had known! laurie

Karen said...

Oh I love a book like this! I just ordered it on my iPad and will begin TONIGHT! YAY!
HUGS! Karen

Tales of Whimsy said...

Everyone I know that has read this has simply loved it. I must read it.