Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Short Rib and Barley Stew



So! I hear that a big part of the country is suffering a horrible cold spell.
I'm sorry! 
I hope you are taking care of yourselves.


I thought that I would share my recipe for Short Rib and Barley Stew that I found (here).
This is such a hearty, DELICIOUS soup.  I hope you will try it.
I have made this 3 times now and every time it is wonderful. 

I have tweaked the recipe a bit here and there to adjust it to our taste. 
Plus it calls for Marmite... what is that? Has anyone ever heard of this ingredient?
My understanding is that it is something that ads an intense salty flavor... 
Anyway, I could not find it anywhere, so I added extra Soy Sauce. 
That did the trick! 

So here it is. I hope you like it!

  • 2 pounds boneless beef short ribs, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 2 medium carrots, split in half and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
  • 2 medium ribs celery, split in half and sliced into 1/2-inch chunks (about 1 cup)
  • 1 large onion, finely diced (about 1 1/2 cups total)
  • 1/2 teaspoon marmite
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 2 medium cloves garlic, grated on a microplane grater (about 2 teaspoons)
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1 quart low-sodium chicken broth (preferably homemade) 
  • ( I use canned chicken broth and I have to add almost twice what it calls for)
  • 1 (14.4) ounce can whole peeled tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
  • 1 cup pearl barley
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 4 cups loosely packed kale leaves, roughly torn

Procedures

  1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper and toss in a large bowl to coat. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over high heat until smoking. Add the beef and cook without moving until well-browned on first side, about 5 minutes. Stir beef and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until browned all over, about 10 minutes total, reducing heat if bottom of pan begins to burn. Return meat to bowl and set aside.

  2. Return pan to medium-high heat and add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook, stirring frequently until vegetables begin to brown, about 4 minutes total. Add marmite, soy sace, garlic, and tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

  3. Add broth and scrape up browned bits from bottom of pan with wooden spoon. Add tomatoes, barley, and bay leaves. Return beef to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to lowest possible heat and place cover on pot, leaving lid slightly ajar. Cook, stirring occasionally until beef is completely tender and barley is cooked through, about 2 hours. Stir in kale leaves and cook, stirring constantly until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, or for best flavor, chill and refrigerate in a sealed container for up to 5 days.




3 comments:

2 Dogs said...

Oh yes that looks yummy! Good on a cold wintry day. Snowed all day here and got to leave work early. Yeah!

Tales of Whimsy said...

Yum. It looks so hearty and comforting.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love this kind of Hardy soups, they're usually enough for me, specially for dinner, as we don't have heavy dinners around here as lunch is. Thanks for the récipe!
Have a great week ahead.
FABBY