Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grandma Ruth's Biscuits

Grandma Ruth... High School Graduation
Isn't she so cute!? My Mom has those beads...

My Grandma Ruth was a fantastic cook. Not gourmet or fancy, but wonderful comfort food. I think it surly must have come from many years of cooking for a large family and farm hands. One of her absolute specialties was biscuits. I remember spending a week with her when I was about 10 or 11 and asking her to show me how to make them. In my effort to eat healthy, I long ago put this recipe away. When I was going through one of my old cookbooks I came across it. I remembered spending time with her and all of a sudden I felt like I had to see if I could still make them. I did and they turned out just like I remember.
Here's what you need:
  • 2 cups of flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon of baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 3/4 to a 1 cup of heavy cream
  • melted butter
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Combine with fork or pastry fork the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Add small amounts of melted butter until the mixture forms a coarse crumbly texture.

Add cream with a fork and mix until a soft dough forms that starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Lay out a generous amount of flour on the counter and knead only a few strokes. (over kneading will make your biscuits heavy). Roll out your dough to about 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch thick. With a biscuit cutter cut out biscuits. Press the left over dough together and reroll. Keep cutting until all the dough is used.

Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about an inch apart. Bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown. I brushed them with butter but that isn't really necessary.

So yummy good! I'm so glad I found the recipe and made these. It is amazing how food is attached to wonderful memories.

Enjoy!

10 comments:

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

How fun to make your grandma's biscuits. My grandma could read or write English...so there are no recipes from her. I love the picture of the cups and saucers too!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I never was good at making biscuits - have not tried in years.
Sure hope the dust storm did not affect you!

Susan said...

ooooooooo, your bisquits look luscious. Bet they'd be even better with butter and honey. Yum yum yum Thanks Grandma Rose! Susan

Sherri B. said...

I was just hoping to find a good biscuit recipe...yes I have a billion cookbooks and the internet is full of recipes, but I wanted a 'special' one and I think it might be Grandma Ruth's. Thanks!

Janna said...

Yummmm, send some up here! :)

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Oh my goodness, these biscuits look scrumptious! I bet they are heavenly. I think I just might try your recipe. I will have to use an upside down glass as my biscuit cutter because all my cookie cutters have shapes. Yum, I can't wait to give these a try! Thank you!

theromanticrose said...

Che bello questo post,mi fa tornare bambina!Io adoro il profumo dei biscotti,Rosetta

Unknown said...

She is very cute.. lucky to have a picture of her, the biscuits look so good thanks for sharing such a special recipe...have a great weekend

Pattie

Melissa said...

I think well-made comfort food and plain food is the best...looks are definitely not everything!!

Curtains in My Tree said...

I am so hungry right now and Grandma's biscuits would sure taste so good LOL

I am dying over seeing that Emma Bridgewater BUTTER slab I want one soooooooooooo bad


Janice