Saturday, May 16, 2009

Napco.... Is Two a Collection?





These are the cutest little munchkins ever! My Grandmother gave me this one when I was about 8 years old. It looks a lot like a M.I. Hummel but they were little dime store copycats in the late 50's early 60's. They are kind of hard to find and really pretty inexpensive.


I snapped this little precious up for only $12.00. Which is about the average price, although, I have seen them for as much as $25.00.

I was hoping to get you some history on the Napco Brand and Company. Here is some brief information. By the way... Napco is the same company that was famous for the charming head vases that are so very collectible now.

The NAPCO Company or National Potteries Corporation is located in Bedford, OH and began production of Porcelain and Glass in 1938. Ceramic pieces sold by Napco (National Potteries Corporation)
are distinctive and popular again today. Since its prolific output of the 1950s and 1960s, Napco has held the interest of collectors because the ceramic items are consistently well-designed.

Owned and operated in the Midwest, Napco distributed a variety of collectibles, including decorative wall accessories, ashtrays, ceramic and wood house wares, floral arrangements, ceramic planters, decorative glass, novelty figurines, mugs, trivets, and Christmas ceramics. Napco used a wide array of marks for its head vases—some transfer marks and some paper labels. The paper labels feature various wording, such as: "A Napco Collection,"
"Napco originals by Giftware," "National Potteries Co., Cleveland, OH, Made in Japan," and "Napcoware, Import Japan." I hope this was interesting.

I don't know about you but I like to know stuff about stuff. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!


7 comments:

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Those are adorable!!!!! They do look exactly like the Hummel's. Omgosh, my gmother and great gmother had tons of the Lady's Head Vases and they asked me if I wanted them when I was like 12, of course I said eeeewww no, so they were sold in a garage sale for pennies and they now bring around $60.00 avg. each at antique malls, and of course now I love them!!!! Your little Napco's are adorable!! ;)

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Those are so cute! I think I have one, but it is on a very high shelf, and I will have to get the step ladder out to get it down and look on the bottom. Now, you've got me curious. laurie

Nanette said...

You may not believe this but right before visiting your blog I was trying to find information on the cutest little figurine I picked up this weekend, stamped Napcoware, bone china (I especially like to know when they were made). So thank you for the information! She is just adorable holding a little flower and has a little kitten at her feet. So fun! Yours are so cute and if you don't have a collection, you at least have a pair!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

They sure are cute little girls! :-) The little girl your grandma gave you looks like she's singing... then again, she must be screaming HOT with that pie she's holding LoL. Precious!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Those are so cute. Yep - 2 can be a collection. :-) Thanks for sharing.
Glenda

Lisa said...

These are so sweet! They really do look like Hummel's! Now (thanks to you) we'll know what they are if we see them at a tag sale!

Lisa said...

I have some of these that were collected fr me when I was a child. UNFORTUNATELY I've broken all of them over the years moving so much! I still have them in their glued up states and they are just the best! Enjoy!
Hugs, Lisa