Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My All Time Favorite Decorating Books and A Blank Slate



In so many ways I am just like the rest of you ladies. As much as I love my Christmas decor, once it's down.... I am so over it! : ) The best thing as I'm sure you all agree is the sense of freshness and clean that you get when you look at the blank table tops and empty hutches. It really gives us a chance to look at the space with new eyes.

I am not a decorator and certainly not all that creative. However, I am able, just like you, to draw inspiration from favorite decorating books. These are my "go to" books. I look at them at least 2 or 3 times a year.
So, with the dining room table polished and a fresh cup of coffee poured ... I set about one of my biggest struggles. A centerpiece. A vignette, if you will. : )
The criteria: No money spent, and it must incorporate a few of my pretties.


This is the oldest Mary Engelbreit book that I have. Home Companion. I think it came out in the early 90's. I can look at this book over and over and still see new and inspiring things to create.

Remember when everyone was doing sunflowers! : ) This is still cute to me.

Classic blue and white...You know I love that!

This is the most current decorating book from Mary Engelbreit. It came out in 2004 and it is actually her home in St. Louis Mo. I go through these pages and drool! : )

This Kitchen would inspire anyone! I love the cream and brown.


Wouldn't you love to sit here with a cup of coffee and the paper?!

This is her actual kitchen. Can you imagine?! It is so cute!


This is the final product. Next ... the hutch!

So with that little project finished, I have the pleasure of announcing that this is my 75th post!

I can't believe it. Of course I have a give away planned! Stay tuned.


24 comments:

Gypsy aka Tam said...

Congrats on your 75th post. I love all the pictures of your decorating books and your vignette is stunning!!!
Have a wonderful Wednesday,
Tam

Raymonty said...

I will give the lady who has the best Valentine Day decoration, a big kiss. - Old Dog. . . . . For women only!

Sunday Girl said...

Hi Liz,
I totally agree about the new slate. I have a couple of Mary E's books too, love them. Yes, your vignette is stunning.

the wild raspberry said...

it looks very nice. i love the cloche.

Bo said...

Hi Liz....I all of a sudden feel the need to decorate something after seeing all of your inspiration photos...and your vignette could be a page in her book! ;-) Bo

Anonymous said...

I think Mary could take lessons from YOU!
;D

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

I love to browse through books too for ideas!

75 posts? Congrats! That is wonderful

SueLovesCherries said...

Beautiful centerpiece! Although, as I was reading, I thought you were going to tell us that the pile of books was going to be the centerpiece! LOL!

The Raggedy Girl said...

Good Morning Liz:
Your post is so timely. I have so many decorating books and I know that it is time to go through them and weed some out. I am not sure how to do it. I don't know what to do with them if I let them go. I doubt they are worth much to anyone. I keep putting it off because I just don't know how to do it. Thanks for the push.
Roberta Anne

Nanette said...

That turned out so pretty!
Valerie

Rue said...

Hi Liz :)

Congratulations on your 75th post!

I love those books!! I think I'll go to Alibris.com and get them for myself :)

rue

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I enjoyed looking through your books with you. Love your vignette. It's perfect. laurie

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Hey girl it looks great and I do so love your bust... I just got another one from Ebay..so I now have 3 I guess you could say I am busty girl!! oh don't you love Mary house?? it's good to be queen..hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Blondie's Journal said...

Hi Liz...Just came upon your blog and love it!! Your vignette turned out beautiful. I too get inspiration from books and magazines!

I will definately come back to visit. It will be interesting to see what you do for Valentines Day!! :-)

xoxo
Jane

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Whew! I'm so glad your blog wasn't *really* down!

The books look wonderful. I loved ME's kitchen.

I must find a cloche! A very pretty display. Now hurry and finish the hutch so we can see!

Sharon said...

Liz, I love what you did with your table, just like Mary's kitchen it looks very inviting. I have so many decorating books, that I look at all the time. Love the ideas in her books. Sharon K

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

stop by http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/2009/01/moi-part-2.html
I have an award for you to pick up!
Thanks!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

What a sweet blog you have! I LOVE the big H that you made! I want to do some of those someday soon! Enjoyed my visit! Hugs, Maryjane

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I love Mary E., always a great inspiration! I have rubbermaid bins in the basement full of magazines that I look through over and over. There is always something new to discover when I look at them for the 100th time!

Thank you so much for your visit to my blog and your sweet comments.
~Michelle

American Homemaker said...

That's such a cute cloche. I love it.

Anonymous said...

What pretty books. I know what you mean about Christmas decorations; it's *such* a relif to put them away.

Congratulations on your 75th post.

Kate

Decor To Adore said...

Woo hoo~75!

I have a few older Mary Carol Garrity books that I shall never part with. They provide classic decorating.

2 Dogs said...

Hey Liz! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love yours. I must add you to my side bar.

I love the photos in your books. What inspiration.

Congrats on your 75th post. I'm just getting started.

Hugs
Patti c

Kathleen Ellis said...

Wow...you certainly were inspired! I LOVE your vignette...it is so beautifully arranged!
As a decorator I, too, draw inspiration from my "inspirational resource library" of magazines and books...there is something about the process of relaxing with a cup of tea (or coffee) and dreaming through the pages...I'm amazed at how it opens up the creative flow!
you've done a beautiful job...thanks for stopping by!
Have a happy week!
;-D