Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy



Well! We've had 2 months to read 800 pages of Russian Romance.....

"Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way."

That has to be one of the best opening lines of a book!

This is going to be one of the few books that I re-read. Along with any of the Jane Austen novels, it is in my top (whatever number) of books that I love. It is 800 pages, but every page is needed to tell the story of a not so complicated circle of Russian aristocrats.

If you love a romance, this is the ultimate Romance Novel.

If you have read Anna Karenina, please let me know what you thought!

~~~~~*~~~~~

If you are more of a movie person, there are several different versions.

How about Sean Connery as the dashing Russian Officer Vronski?

This movie was just found in the offices of BBC several years ago... It was long thought to be gone. This was a role that Mr. Connery played before his brake through role in as Agent 007, Bond, James Bond! He got rave reviews. I can't waite to see this. I have ordered it from Amazon. I'll let you know if it is good or not! (are you kidding me, with Sean Connery?)

~~~~~*~~~~~

Another older version...

Greta Garbo as Anna Karenina in 1935... Oh, I bet this is good!

~~~~~*~~~~~

A 1948 version stared Vivien Leigh as Anna Karenina.

Some critics say this is Miss Leigh's best role.

In September Vivien Leigh is the Star of the Month at Turner Classic Movies.... check your listings, but the TCM website says that it will air Tuesday, September 28,2010 10:00 PM

~~~~~*~~~~~

A 1997 version, staring Sophia Marceau and Sean Bean, which I believe was made in Germany. I have not been able to find it on DVD for US format.

I have not seen this, but I have heard that the acting is not excellent but adequate. However, the sets, costuming and cinematography are extraordinary! I would love to see it.

Stunning! Right?

~~~~~*~~~~~

Our next book...

A Soft Place to Land By Susan Rebecca White

For more than ten years, Naomi and Phil Harrison enjoyed a marriage of heady romance, tempered only by the needs of their children. But on a vacation alone, the couple perishes in a flight over the Grand Canyon. After the funeral, their daughters, Ruthie and Julia, are shocked by the provisions in their will.
Spanning nearly two decades, the sisters' journeys take them from their familiar home in Atlanta to sophisticated bohemian San Francisco, a mountain town in Virginia, the campus of Berkeley, and lofts in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. As they heal from loss, search for love, and begin careers, their sisterhood, once an oasis, becomes complicated by resentment, anger, and jealousy. It seems as though the echoes of their parents' deaths will never stop reverberating—until another shocking accident changes everything once again.

I hope you join us!


Also: don't forget Friday is the first Friday of September and the First Fresh-Cut Friday. I will have the linky tool up and ready to go around 7:00pm tomorrow night. This is my first linking party so please pardon any imperfections.

I think it will be fun!


5 comments:

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Thanks for the info. and I was going to make a note on my calender. However, 10PM your time is midnight here. Need to see if it will be aired other times.

Miss Gracie's House said...

Hi Liz...beautiful bedroom below!
rene

Glenda/MidSouth said...

OK - I googled - Isn't google wonderful! :-D It will start at 9 PM my time. Thanks Liz for posting the info. I have heard of the book several times, but have never read it or seen the movie - that I remember. Hope you are having a nice evening.

Melissa said...

I love AK. Levin is easily my favorite character. I wonder if the Sean Connery version is available on Netflix?

Yup and it is now in my queue.

Patti said...

Thanks for popping by my blog this morning. I do hope you get a chance to see Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison. It's a very sweet movie...if you can call a movie with Robert Mitchum as a US Marine sweet. It's on my Top 25 list.

Because you mentioned this post in your comment, I browsed your archives to look for it, since I only discovered your blog a couple days ago.

I am actually a very slow book reader (probably because I get about 6 magazines), so a book of 800 pages would take me a year to read, I'm sure. I'm currently reading To Kill a Mockingbird, and though it's not nearly as long as Anna Karenina, I have no idea when I'll finish. So, I think I will see the movie, and, of course, I will choose the Vivien Leigh version. I think she was a fabulous actress. My favorite role of hers is in Waterloo Bridge...beautiful, tragic story. I did a review of it a couple months ago if you're interested in hearing about that one.

Your upcoming book sounds very interesting. I think I will put that on my "to-read" list, though by the time I finish To Kill a Mockingbird, it might be next year.

Blessings on your day,
Patti