Friday, May 30, 2014

Anyone can grow into something beautiful....


Do you love that? I do! 
And the best part is that it's true! 

Last month's book club selection was 

The Language of Flowers
by Vanessa Diffenbaugh



Seriously? The cover called me! 

From the back of the book:
The Victorian language of flowers was used to convey romantic expressions: honeysuckle for devotion, asters for patience, and red roses for love. But for Victoria Jones, it's been more useful in communicating mistrust and solitude. After a childhood spent in the foster-care system, she is unable to get close to anybody, and her only connection to the world is through flowers and their meanings. Now eighteen and emancipated from the system with nowhere to go, Victoria realizes she had a gift for helping others through the flowers she chooses for them. But an unexpected encounter with a mysterious stranger has her questioning what's been missing in her life. And when she's forced to confront a painful secret from her past, she must decide whether it's worth risking everything for a second chance at happiness.

Here's my take:
I didn't enjoy the book as much as I had hoped I would. And truthfully, I go back and forth on my final judgment. It was an "okay" book.  I found the story to be sad and 
depressing. There is a hopeful ending but you really have to slog through some story line 
that portrays some very weak characters and really stupid choices. But then, I also realize that these foster kids with separation and abandonment disorders  (not issues! true disorders) enter our society everyday and have to learn to live and be a part of society.  So in that regard I found the book enlightening. 
The ladies in the book club were also half and half. So you may just have to read it and decide for yourself. 

As far as content: 
One f-bomb in the whole book, and the story line is very clean while still being real to the situation.  

bonus alert!
Bonus Alert
Miss Diffenbaugh has provided free E-Cards using the language of flowers. Click here!

I'm jointing Ricki Jill for Literary Friday.

ENJOY!



3 comments:

Ricki Treleaven said...

I'm tired of the f*bomb in books, too. I appreciate what Diffenbaugh is doing to help those kids transitioning out of foster care. The beginning of the books was so depressing, I almost put it down, but I'm glad I finished reading it.

Your review is fantastic, and I appreciate your support of Literary Friday!

xo,
RJ

Stacey said...

I read that book a few months ago. I couldn't put it down just because her experiences were so bizarre. Her life was so hard and she turned out so dysfunctional. Interesting though.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I audioed this one and loved it. It is very sad but I couldn't look away. Very train wrecky I know but it's one of those books that sucked me in and I think of often. I call them sticky books.