Saturday, June 11, 2011

How To Make a Slip Cover For An Ottoman...




Start with a tired, old, worn out ottoman... (that you can't get rid of because sometimes you need extra seating and its still in good condition)

Pre-wash your fabric. I used cheap denim
(if you can call $12.99 a yd. cheap. I used a 50% off coupon... but still!)
because I want to be able to throw it in the wash.
You'll want to put together your top "box" first. Measure your top piece of fabric first and then your sides. Add a little extra for seam allowances.

Yup! That's my old White Shoulders powder box. I keep my straight pins in there. I only use those long dressmaker type. I hate the little ones.

Stitch the 4 pieces together as shown in my picture..... always press. That was something that the Home Ec. Teacher always told us. I'm sorry that girls don't have that option these days... Oh well... I guess that is what the Blogs are for. LOL!
Stitch your corners together...



Try it on...


Now your going to want to add your ruffle. To make the ruffle, I measured all the way around the ottoman and then quadrupled that measurement. Divided it into 4 and cut 4 pieces of fabric that were each long enough to allow for a hem.

I sewed all 4 pieces together. I then hemmed the whole long strip.

Using the longest stitch on my machine I gathered the fabric. To make sure that the gathering was even I attached the ruffle with pins by half and then fourths. Then started gathering and creating the ruffle.

Stitch that last seam together.

Ta- daaaa!
I like it!


I'm linking to the Sunday Showcase!


17 comments:

Jordan McCollum said...

Nice job! It looks totally different. TFS!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did a great job - I like it also.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

I like it too. My ottoman, bought at a garage sale, is almost identical to yours. I hope mine turns out as good!!

Victorian1885 said...

Thanks for the lesson..I will give it a try too. Have a great week ahead!

Brandi said...

excellent makeover and tutorial. your directions were so easy to follow.

Ricki Treleaven said...

Oooooo I like it, too! I wish I could sew. I don't even own a sewing machine!

Jamie said...

It looks awesome! That skirt is so flirty ;)

mzzbev said...

Adorable! You make it look so easy :)

Mrs. No-No said...

wow! so nice. and you make it look so easy to TOTALLY change the look of that. thanks for sharing! :)

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Great job!!

Thanks for the tutorial! You made it look like I could actually do that!!

hugs,
Debbie

Susan said...

I couldn't do that in a million years. Great job! Susan

Decor To Adore said...

A great tutorial that I will surely refer too!

If you get a chance, please stop by and enter the giveaway I am hosting on my blog.

Happy Monday!

Melissa said...

I like it too and it looks much better than it did.

Jami said...

I have just the ottoman that could use this make-over! Would love for you to stop by and share it at the Tuesday To Do Party! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/06/tuesday-to-do-14-and-13-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

You make it look so e a s y Liz! Yours turned out so cute! Hummm, maybe I will give it a try! Thank you!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Miss Gracie's House said...

I like it too...and you make it look easy!
Rene

Unknown said...

Great Job very nice! BTW I loved how you shared your story lol