Friday, March 15, 2013

Mrs. Mike

Mrs. Mike, the Story of Katherine Mary Flannigan
by Benedict and Nancy Mars Freedman







From the back of the book: 

Set in the Canadian wilderness in the early 1900s. Considered by some a young adult classic, Mrs. Mike has been published in several editions and is read worldwide. The work combines the landscape and hardships of the Great Canadian North with a love story between Royal Canadian Mounted Police Sergeant Mike Flannigan and a young Katherine Mary O'Fallon, newly arrived from Boston, Massachusetts. Mrs. Mike, based on the life of Katherine Mary O'Fallon Flannigan, documents the young couple's trials, sorrows, and growth.

 There were mixed reviews from the book club on this one. Several of the ladies thought that it was a little rambling and didn't really like it to much. But I really liked it. In fact, I would read it again. I learned a lot about the Mounties and all that their job included. (amazing) Plus, I don't know that much about the Great Canadian North, so I found it very interesting. I thought this was a good read and well worth recommending.

I will be joining Art At Home for Literary Fridays



10 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

This sounds really good - I am adding it to my Amazon wish list :-)

Pamela Gordon said...

I'm Canadian and haven't even heard of this book. It sounds like a really good read though. I'm glad you enjoyed learning about Canadian life in the 1900's. Pamela

Ginny Worden said...

I read Mrs Mike years ago, and I still think of it and how much I enjoyed it. Thanks for the memories.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I read this when I was a teenager and LOVED it!!! A wonderful tale.

Michelle said...

This book sounds like a great read. I don't think I've ever read a book about Northern Canada or the Mounties, so that would be really interesting to learn about them.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a good read.

Tales of Whimsy said...

I love when I enjoy a book and learn something.

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, it sounds like my kinda read! I' pinning to see about getting this one. I love any history read I can get.. and you are so lucky to find out about Canada in the 1900's, I'm so curious this way! Thank you for sharing it with us. Thank you for your sweet and kind visit to my blog. Have a great St. Patty's weekend.
FABBY

Anonymous said...

sounds like some interesting historical fiction!

Ricki Treleaven said...

:D I love historical fiction so I'll definitely put this on my TBR list!

I apologize for not visiting sooner. I've been preparing for a meeting at my daughter's school, and it's taken all my time.

xo,
RJ