Thursday, March 18, 2010

I'm a Little Sad...



From E!online

"The King of the Wild Frontier is gone.

Fess Parker, the strapping star who played Davy Crockett in the hugely popular Disney Television show of the 1950s, died today of natural causes at age 85, his family announced.

The actor, whose classic roles also included the son-consoling dad in Old Yeller and another 'coonskin-cap-favoring frontiersman in NBC's Daniel Boone, had retired from showbiz in the 1970s and founded a hugely successful winery and resort in Santa Barbara.

He was 85."

I'm a little sad... I actually got to meet Mr. Parker when I was a little girl.
I was about 7 and I just thought he was the nicest and tallest man I had ever met. My brother had an official "coonskin cap". It was one of the few TV show's that he and I agreed on.
Daniel Boone.

Does anyone else remember this show?


11 comments:

Kit said...

Very Sad! Yes, I do remember the show and it was a favorite of mine. I grew up in New Jersey, and loved this show about the rugged outdoors. He will be missed. "Davy Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier"

Lisa said...

Oh that is sad! I do remember it. It was a great show!
Hugs, Lisa

Nancy's Notes said...

Oh my goodness, I am so saddened by this news, I did not know. He will be missed, his show was awesome. What memories.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

It was a great show. Wished there were more shows like that now. So many of the shows on TV now are not appropriate for children. Times change. :(

Mimi said...

HI!!!
I was saddened when I read that this morning as well, I loved him on Davy Crockett, I can still so remember that song as a little one!!!haha
Great actor gone.
Hugs,
jamie

LemonyRenee' said...

I don't remember watching the show, but suddenly, I do have its theme playing in my head. Some people just seem invincible and then, when they are not, its doubly hard.

Lisa said...

Oh my goodness yes, I remember! And Old Yeller was just about EVERYBODY's favorite movie. This is sad news but it appears he lived a life well spent. R.I.P Mr. Parker.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I do remember! I loved watching Daniel Boone. Being 49, I remember a lot of the shows and am especially fond of Old Yeller.

((hugs))
Becky

Mary Lou said...

My coon skinned hat is off to Old Daniel. (He said Danle).
I grew up on the border of KY/TN so knew it well.
He was a good one.

Bunny Jean said...

That was one of our favorite shows too. My brother also had the hat. He had such a nice smooth voice...

Talk to you soon ;)
Bunny Jean

Faith said...

They are replaying the television show in my area, I never miss it and enjoy it more now that I am in my 50's. Fess is awesome.