Saturday, January 31, 2015

Book Review - The Fault In Our Stars






January's bookclub selection was:

 The Fault In Our Stars 
                                                             by John Green


Summary from the back of the book:

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything by terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten. 

Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green's most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love. 


SO! Here is what I thought. 

I thought that it was REALLY beautifully written in terms of picturesque illustration. I mean, I 
really want to go have dinner in Amsterdam now. :) 
(you'll understand if you read the story, and if not, you'll have to read it 
to find out what I mean) 
I thought that it was enlightening to help understand how a very intelligent teen with a long term fatal disease might handle life, family and love. 

BUT that is just about all the good I could find.
There were a lot of medical inconsistencies,  also a lot of things that just didn't make
logical sense in terms of their travel arrangements. 

But the biggest annoyance was the general overall attitude toward people that believe 
in God or an afterlife. There were mocking tones and down right blasphemous illustrations
about "the literal heart of Jesus"  over and over. The only believers in the story
were made out to be out-of-touch, uninformed losers. 

For example, here's a quote from Hazel (main character) after Gus (her true love) tells her that he absolutely believes in an after life. Or,  at least "Something" after life. 

"Really" I asked. I was surprised. I'd always associated belief in heaven with, frankly, a kind 
of intellectual disengagement. But Gus wasn't dumb."

I get it. We, the believing, are old-school and a dying breed... but really?

I don't know. I just couldn't get over it. 

Tell me. Did you LOVE this best selling block buster? 
It left me wanting.

1 comment:

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

Read this book and liked it very much - saw the movie and didn't so much like the movie. The book stated so much feeling that was nearly impossible to convey verbally in the film. I never fell in love with the characters from the film...but boy oh boy did I ever in the book.

It was def worth reading - but wouldn't recommend if one has already seen the movie. What made book good was not knowing how it would end.