Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Old Fashioned Bread Pudding

 SO! 

Yes! You are right... it has been almost a week since I last posted. 
So sorry. 
We are in a crazy busy season here in our little corner of the world. I still miss being involved more in the blog-is-phere, but I'm having to make decisions and sometimes the here and now is more important. Some things are fun and good. Others well .... 
Lets just say... "We're building character these days." 
With that said....

Last Friday I was able to help with a Dinner and A Movie Event for the ladies of my church. I was in charge of the dessert bar which means that I did not have time to make anything home made. And I really hate that... but oh well! What I ended up doing was purchasing several Cinnamon Strusel Quick Breads from my local Safeway. They were okay.  I did have some left over though. So what do you do with that left over bread? 
YOU MAKE BREAD PUDDING! 
I went to my mom's old cook book and found this simple recipe.


5 slices day-old bread                                 1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine               3 eggs
1/2 cup moist raisins                                   3 cups milk scalded
1/4 teaspoon salt                                         1/4 teaspoon cinnamon


Toast bread and spread with all the butter while hot. Arrange toast in a buttered baking pan. Sprinkle
with raisins. Stir the salt and all but 2 tablespoons of the sugar into the eggs. Add milk and stir to mix well. Pour over the toast and allow to stand for 10 minutes. Press toast lightly down into milk occasionally so that the toast soaks up most of the milk mixture. Mix cinnamon with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar and sprinkle over top. Place dish directly on oven rack. Bake in a moderate oven (350° F)  for about 25 minutes until a pointed knife inserted in center comes our clean and top is an appetizing brown. Serve warm or cold. 5 to 6 servings.

As usual, I did change a few things.



I set aside some of the toasted bread and cubed it, then sprinkled it across the top. Also, because there was already a lot of cinnamon in the bread I just sprinkled sugar across the top.

 Look at all that nubby goodness!

 Crusty on the outside and moist on the inside!

 Simple ingredients combined to make some wonderful comfort food.
I was thinking... what if you did this with pumpkin bread or zucchini bread... 
Oh My!
I'll be sharing this yummy recipe for Foodie Friday!


Oh! P.S. I almost forgot to share... the movie was....

 The Inheritance
A 1997 Hallmark movie based on the Novel by Louisa May Alcott

Summary Provided IMDb
At the lush Evenswood estate in Concord, Massachusetts, Edith Adelon, a beautiful orphan, lives as the paid companion to the daughter of the wealthy Hamilton family, although they regard her as one of their own. Years ago, Henry Hamilton saved Edith from an Italian orphanage at the request of his long-deceased brother. Now, Edith is his daughter Amy's prized friend and confidante. As the Hamiltons await a trio of visitors for the annual Greens Cup horse race, Beatrice Hamilton asks for Edith's help in finding a suitable husband for a cousin, Ida Glenshaw, with one of two visiting eligible bachelors. But when it becomes clear that both the young men have affection for Edith and not Ida, jealousy soon develops, leading to malicious conniving and brutal backstabbing. Despite the growing love between Edith and one of the young suitors, because of their conflicting social classes, the couple is reminded time and again that their love can never be. The Inheritance is a story that centers on an innocent young woman's struggle to make sense of her position within the Hamilton household and in society, and the love she feels for her patrons, as well as for a young man she can never marry.

Ladies! This was sooooo good. Just what I needed to sweep me away from the hectic week that I had just spent. It is such a nice clean movie. The home and costumes are so well done. You will love it...
Let me know if you do watch it.



6 comments:

Love Of Quilts said...

I HAVE NEVER MADE BREAD PUDDING. THANKS FOR THE RECIPE.

Stephanie said...

Hi Liz! YUM! My husband loves bread pudding and I'm always trying to find a good recipe - yours looks and sounds amazing so I will have to try it sometime :) Thanks for sharing and have a lovely day. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

I love bread pudding and this looks SO good! I also would like that movie - considered ordering it some time ago from amazon and maybe I still will.

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Oh this looks so good! I haven't made bread pudding for ages. I'll have to do that when the weather cools down.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Dinner and a Movie? I love it!

moleymakes said...

It's been years since I made bread pudding. I will definitely have to make some once autumn sets in. Mmmm I can just smell it now :)

Have a great weekend .