Friday, June 8, 2012

Lit-N-Latte Book Club Reads


I have picked up this book a number of times just because it is so lovely. For the month of May, we decided that because we all had so much going on that we would select a small, light easy read. 
One Thousand Gifts 
by Ann Voskamp 

....is anything but small, light or easy. 

Written about a journey to Joy by way of Gratitude, in journal format, this book is a heavy spiritual hitter. Reading it one time simply will not do. It really is a must read.  

Initially, on the first take, most of the girls, complained that it was slow and depressing.  However, by the end of the book everyone agreed that the message stood on it's own. We must learn the art of gratitude.  This could be a book that changes your life. 
If you let it.

 Whether you like a "journal" type of style or not, you end up reading beauty in the poetry of her writing.
I loved it so much that I shared it with a friend. 

I'm joining:


7 comments:

April D said...

Her writing is astonishing--beautiful, applicable.
I gave three copies of the book for Christmas last year!
Definitely not a "light" read!
:)
hugs,
~april

Shanley said...

Thank-you so much for linking-up, Liz! :D I love journalistic style, and I do think that we need to be reminded of the importance of gratitude and practice it every day. I am going to look for One Thousand Gifts. Your recommendation is not the first one I have received for it, either.

xo,
RJ

Ricki Treleaven said...

Sorry, Liz, but my daughter's account was open on my computer rather than my account....but that comment was really from me! ;P

Anonymous said...

I love Ann's writing and heart! Definitely not light reading-but might make you walk away feeling lighter in the long run!

Decor To Adore said...

I love Ann. Our family has now been keeping a daily gratitude journal since January because of her.

Tales of Whimsy said...

Sounds fab. I should try it.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Liz,
The book sounds like one I would enjoy. Love the picture of the book with the birds nest on it. Thank you for your nice comment on my magazine feature. Hope you have a delightful weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi