Monday, August 8, 2011

MMMM...Monday Mini Muffin Mania




Do you remember in the 90's the big muffin craze? If you watched Seinfeld than you will remember that Elaine loved only the tops of the muffins. Then the craze evolved in the giant muffins that we saw in all the bakeries. I was thinking... maybe that lead to all the muffin tops that we have now. LOL! :)

Well, as with all fashions, the pendulum swings from one extreme to the other. The next thing that we saw were mini muffins. I still love to take these to work for treats. They are just the right size and folks love them.

Here's the basic recipe:
2 cups flour
3 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. salt
4 Tbs butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a mini muffin pan. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Melt the butter. Mix together the milk, egg and melted butter. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture until combined but still lumpy, just 15 to 20 seconds. Pour into the buttered pan and bake in the preheated oven until it is lightly browned 20 to 25 minutes.
~
Variation:
Blueberry-Lemon
Increase the sugar to 1/3 cup and grate the zest of 1 lemon into the flour mixture. Add 1 cup blueberries with the milk mixture. Bake 25 to 30 minutes.



Another Variation:
Chocolate Chip
Use light-brown sugar rather than granulated and add 1/2 cup chocolate chips to flour mixture. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract with milk mixture.


Here are some tips for High-Rising Muffins. These work for the regular muffins size too!

Don't overmix muffins. Stir just until the batter is barely combined and still lumpy.

Contrary to all the repeated instructions, fill the muffin cup all the way to the top. This will create a high-crowned look.


Finally, butter the top of the pan as well as the cups so that the muffin can rise up and spread out without sticking to the top of the pan.
I'm linking to:
Marty's Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
and
Cielo's Show off your Cottage at The House in the Roses


Also I just wanted to thank everyone that joined in for Fresh-Cut Friday! We had some beautiful posts. Pleas join in if you want. The Linky is open through Monday. Our next one will be September 2nd.



11 comments:

Tales of Whimsy said...

I'm salivating :)

Blondie's Journal said...

I have a mini muffin pan that I rarely use...I am going to have to dig it out and try your recipe!! Yum! :-)

XO,
Jane

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh those look sooooooo good. I would love some. Great recipe. I will have to give these a try. Super tip on buttering the top of the tray. Never thought of that. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh yummy! Thanks for the recipe and love the pictures! Hungry now!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Mimi said...

HI LIZ!!!|
I LOVE muffins and your recipe seems so simple, I think I am making me some lemon and blueberry ones!!!!I prefer MINI everything!!!!HAHA
Paradise Bakery has the best mini muffins!!!!
I will let you know when I hear from Cindy, unless someone else has already organized a lunch????Hope so!!!!
Hugs,
jamie

Ricki Treleaven said...

This is the cutest post. I remember that Seinfeld episode! :D The recipe sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Lesa said...

Ha! yes, I remember that Seinfeld episode. And I suspect you may be on to something with your muffin top hypothesis.

My little boy and I make mini muffins alot-- usually to use up over ripe bananas. Your variations sound yummy-- I look forward to trying them.

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

You are amazing...you always have something wonderful that you are making! I adore blueberry muffins...the others are good too, but blueberry wins hands down in my book!!

Red Rose Alley said...

Those chocolate chip mini muffins look incredible! I want one right now.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Sandra said...

It's funny...when you mentionted the big muffins from the 90s, I immediately thought of Seinfeld even before I read what you typed, lol!

Thanks for the recipe. I like the idea of mini muffins as they make a nice little snack.

Melissa said...

Grease the top of the pan - brilliant - wish I had thought of that...