Tuesday, January 25, 2011

When Crickets Cry

January's Girlfriend's Bookclub selection was:

When Crickets Cry

By Charles Martin


From the back of the book:
"In a small town square of a sleepy Georgia town, seven-year-old Annie sits at her lemonade stand, raising money for her own heart transplant. At a nearby store, Reese flips through the newspaper, thinking about the latest boat he’s restoring. As a beat-up bread truck careens around the corner, a strong wind blows Annie’s money into the road. Reese looks up in time to see Annie’s yellow dress fluttering in the wind as she runs into the road. What happens next will change both of their lives forever."

I LOVED this read. It was such a sweet and ironic story. I would easily recommend it! I will also more than likely pick up another one of Mr. Martin's stories. They are very similar to Nicholas Spark's book. So if you love his story telling skills you will also love this one.

~NOW~

For our February selection:

These Is My Words
By Nancy E Turner

From the back of the book:

"These Is My Words uses the love of learning as a major plot element in a story inspired by her great-grandmother, Sarah Prine. It is set during a time in Territorial Arizona when life was hard and tenuous. The story is a portrait of the courage and perseverance of one woman, and a love affair that will never be forgotten."


I chose this book because our book club always reads a love story in February. And while this book has a love story to it... It is also about our state... Arizona. As luck would have our statehood day is ... February 14th! Rich! Right?

I have already started reading it and let me tell you... it is gooooooooood!


OH! P.S. if you ever want to order one of my recommendations... just click on the book carousel on my sidebar.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

I love historical fiction! Your Feb selection sounds wonderful! Was the Jan pick sad? It sounds like a tear jerker to me. These days, anytime I want to cry I watch the news.:)

Unknown said...

I second Lisa's comment ... just watch the news for a tear jerker.

We are having a GIVEAWAY ~
Have a beautiful eve ~
TTFN ~
Marydon

Sarah said...

Liz, thank you for the recommendations. I just finished reading RED HOOK ROAD. I recommend it.

Oliva Ohlson said...

I love your Bookclub posts and recommendations! I'm currently reading Nuala O'Faolain's My Dream of You. This is the first time I've read anything of hers. So far so good.
Thank you!