Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pine Cone Cheese Ball - Perfect For An Open House

Sorry.... I just had to slip one more Christmas decoration in..... I just can't help it. This is my favorite week of the year. The one between Christmas and New Years. Everything seems to come to a slow motion or even a stop. Businesses close, employees try to get in that last bit of vacation, those year end donations are contemplated, folks seriously think about what will be different next year, what will they make better, we visit, we bake, the home is full and warm...It is just a great time of year! So I leave the decorations up and savor every last minute of them. They'll be up till after New Years. Then next weekend... down it all comes till next Thanksgiving.

If your still planning on entertaining, I have a recipe for you. I know that the cheeseball is a little out dated and most folks roll their eyes when you say... "I'll bring the cheese ball"... But this is new and different... and right up my ally.... It's easy! I got the recipe off of Food Network. com. It was a HUGE hit on Christmas Eve! It was devoured in no time.



Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups whole natural almonds
  • 1 (8-ounce) package of cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup real mayonnaise
  • 3 crispy cooked bacon slices, crumbled
  • 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
  • Sprigs, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.

Place and spread all the almonds on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan, pushing the almonds around until they turn color, about 20 minutes.

Mix together the cream cheese and the mayonnaise. Add the bacon, salt and pepper, dill, and onion. Chill overnight. ( I just placed it in a piece of plastic wrap in the general shape and put it in the freezer for an hour... it was the perfect consistency)

Place on a serving platter. Begin to press the almonds at a slight angle into the cheese, starting at the narrow end of the pine cone shape.

Do this in rows, continuing to overlap rows until all the cheese is covered. Garnish with fake sprigs, or real ones, or with rosemary.

Serve at room temperature and spread on crackers.

I'm linking up with Michael at Designs by Gollum for Foodie Friday!

Enjoy!

25 comments:

Char said...

Hi Liz,
Santa is the perfect decoration, but I have to say, the cheese ball is fantastic. I will have to give it a try.
Thank you and I hope you have a very Happy New Year. Char

Ami Allison said...

OH MY GOSH!! I love that Cheese ball! It really does look like a pine cone!!!

I posted the GIVEAWAY!!! :)
http://alililly.blogspot.com/2010/12/cutting-edge-stencil-giveaway.html

Decor To Adore said...

In our house Christmas doesn't end until Jan. 6th (3 Kings Day) so slip in all the photos you want. This one was wonderful!

Keetha Broyles said...

That is a GREAT looking cheese ball!!! But I gotta admit, when I read the title I thought you had LOST YOUR MIND if you were putting cheese in a pine cone! That or it was for the BIRDS.

I think that folks who DON'T enjoy this week between Christmas and New Years are CHEATING themselves out of the BEST part of the holidays!

HolidayS. When they spend this week undecorating and packing Christmas things away they WASTE the best part of the holidayS.

Besides - - - today's my birthday. I will NOT be cheated out of a holiday spirit TODAY!

:-)

So show me all the Christmas stuff you got!!!! The 12 days of Christmas are far from over.

Keetha Broyles said...

Wooooo Hooooo - - - I LIKE what Laura Ingalls Gunn said!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, wow! This looks awesome! Thanks for the photos and recipe. It really looks like a pine cone!

XO,
Jane

Kathleen said...

I haven't made that in a long time! It is always a hit though isn't it!
Your new bling is lovely. I am not a bling girl, but I totally understand...I am a dish girl! :)
Happy New Year!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Love this idea! Thanks for the inspiration.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds good - think I have had it before. Some of the oldies but goodies are great standbys. I am making "lil smokies" tomorrow - My gang still like them. Over the years I have tried new things and some did not got over to well, so have a tendency to stick to the tried and true.
Happy New Year to you and yours.

Diane said...

WOW, that is so neat. I will have to try that Ÿ

Katerina said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. This cheeseball looks absolutely perfect for a party! I follow you back.

Sarah said...

Liz, your Santa figure is handsome. I'm like you. This week between is one of relaxation and easy days. It's fun to poke around in some of the shops and pick up After Christmas bargains. The cheese ball with its pine cone disguise looks delicious. Thanks!
Thanks for following along. I appreciate it. Looking forward to next weeks Fresh Cut Friday. ;-)
The wreath still smells heavenly. I may not take it down just yet. With the white and silver it could go into January, don't you think?

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Oh Liz, I love that beautiful Santa in the blue coat. That cheese ball is so cute. It would be hard for me to make myself cut into it! Thank you for sharing the recipe. laurie

Amy said...

This is absolutely beautiful! So festive and perfect for the season! Thanks for following my blog. Happy New Year to you and your family!

illini89 said...

I will have to remember this for next year! Looks great!

Happy New Year

shannon i olson said...

We love cheese balls here! I have always wanted to do one like this but still have not. Yours looks wonderful mmmmm

Miz Helen said...

Hi Liz,
I am so happy that you stopped by to have tea with me today,welcome to The Country Cottage. As I am out and about, I wanted to drop by and found your wonderful Cheese Ball. I really like the addition of the dill. I will be seeing more of you in 2011,as I am your newest follower.
Happy New Year!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your cheese ball is wonderful. I hope you have a super New Years. Can't wait until we can do lunch and shop again. Hugs, Marty

Anonymous said...

That's such a pretty cheese ball! You have such nice photos!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

What a beautiful presentation it makes! Very festive and pretty for the holidays.

Have a Happy New Year!

Lyndsay Wells said...

Hi Liz :-) Thanks for stopping by my blog, I love yours! Looking forward to getting to know you and following.

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

HI Liz, I found you from The Kitchen Witch so thought zi eould stop over!!! Happy New Year!!!! Love what I have seen of your blog!!!! XO, Pinky

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

This is cute. Thanks for sharing this recipe. Cheese balls are so yummy. Happy New Year!

Mickey said...

How pretty! Looks easy enough for all of the winter get togethers.
mickey

Kristen said...

I wonder why cheeseballs always make me think of the holidays? Taking all the time to shape and decorate the one you posted is an act of love. I am so bad, I usually just roll mine into a ball and roll it in parsley! Either way, though, cheeseballs are one of my favorite treats!!