Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte


"Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religion.
To attack the first is not to assail the last."
- Charlotte Bronte, (preface) Jane Eyre

"I am no bird; and no net ensnares me;
I am a free human being with an independent will."
- Charlotte Bronte, Jane Eyre


How on earth? Could I not...

Why on earth? Did I not...

Read this classic piece of English romance literature before I was 48 years old.

Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre is such a wonderful female heroine. All young ladies should read this wonderful story. This strong, yet ladylike and proper character gives anyone a fine example to aspire to. I am so glad that I read it and would strongly recommend it.

Now! One of the things that we love to do in our bookclub is select a book that will have a movie feature. And of course Jane Eyre was recently released as a small independent film.

It is the best film adaptation I have seen. It really followed the book very closely with only a few small exceptions. The only thing that I didn't care for was that the picture was very dark. Everything else... 2 thumbs up.

And the worst... The 1996 adaptation with William Hurt as Rochester.

(so not believable...In my humble opinion)


SO?

Jane Austen or Charlotte Bronte

Who is your fave?


Our next selection?

Water for Elephants

Of course!

6 comments:

Mimi said...

HI!!
I love Jane Austen.. Pride and Prejudice was my fav...now sadly I have NOT read Jane Eyre... I am going to pop right over to Amazon. com and order me that book!!!Then I shall certainly see that movie!!!
Gosh, I feel like I have missed something!!!
hugs,
jamie

Lisa said...

Liz,
You know I am a JA fan but I remember reading Jane Eyre in high school and absolutely loving it! I'll have to go see the movie!

Lisa said...

Liz I forgot to tell you that #1 son got into William & Mary law school! Yeah! I'll get to visit Williamsburg. I was hoping he'd pick somewhere interesting.:)

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I have been waiting for this post!

So happy that you are happy!

Love all the Bronte sisters!

Blondie's Journal said...

Jane Austen and Charlotte Bronte are both superb writers...I love Pride And Prejudice {well, half of the book and half of the movie...lol!} and read Jane Eyre a few years ago and just loved both. I think Elizabeth Bennett was a little more fiesty than Jane Eyre, but they were both strong women. I'll have to see the new movie!

XO,
Jane

GardenofDaisies said...

I haven't seen the new film yet, we have just been too busy. Maybe I'll have time this weekend. I read the book for the first time when I was in 7th grade, and have re-read it every year or two since then... so that is a LOT of times. Wonderful story... probably my favorite book, or certainly one of my favorites.